Tuesday, March 18, 2008

in case you missed it

I watched this speech on the same youtube clip you see here. And I guess for me it was like preaching to the choir, but from the media storm of the last few days I'll admit there is something out there I really don't understand. Why is CNN covering this like Obama's reverend burned a cross in front of a temple? or hung an noose from a tree in Jena? I don't understand the fear of black churches reflected in the media coverage. i don't understand the bombastic reaction to a sermon. i don't understand why its being played over and over like evidence of some horrible gotcha. Obama's speech tries, with integrity and love, to place the sermon in a context that might have been lost on whoever is lapping up the media hand-wringing, though i think to hear Obama's message, you have to have an open heart and an open mind.


1 comment:

SharonEKim said...

Word sister friend. His speech yesterday was the best possible thing that could have come out of this entire situation. And can I just say that I really enjoy reading this damn thing? I'm glad you are keeping up with it.