Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And almost immediately I felt sorry


I have spent the past days getting my financial act together, opening new accounts, trying to straighten things out after the dirty thieves went shopping on my credit. And what they say about American Express is true. They get you your card back right away. The rabbit is in Ohio, so I have been putting in the long hours at the office this week. Needing a reason to leave the desk, i went to see a reading at Powell's on a whim and sawKerry Cohen read from her new book, Loose Girl. It was really interesting. She's an Iowa MFA and a psychotherapist. The book was about how she was a teen and then young adult who went off the sex deep end and what that was all about for her. They say the memoir has been beaten to death but since the author seems to be coming at it from a pretty self-aware, rather than confessional place, it was revealing and talked about the pathology that goes on with girls who get wrapped up in that world. Sad, but fascinating in that familiar way about things you have seen around but haven't quite put your finger on before. I always liked the wild girls when I was a teen since they were the only ones who sized me up and would flirt with me, even though they were mostly straight and all. And then we'd just be friends.


The Velvet Underground - Stephanie Says


Liz Phair - Fuck and Run


No comments: