Monday, November 5, 2007

Plain rocked out


First of all, i had the loveliest supper. happy hour is a big old deal in Portland and if you can get there by 6pm, its discount time for foodies. So i have checked out a couple of these things and there are two categories: the places that have a special menu at $3 and $5 dollars a plate for fried stuff you didn't want in the first place and you feel ripped off. you pay full price for a third of a portion of yuck. and then there are places like Cassidy's and Carafe where they kick your tastebuds in for a pittance. Tonight was Carafe, and indeed i had a 1/4 carafe of cotes du rhone and a GREAT salad and a big thick slice of prosciutto on one crostini and a top shelf blue cheese and hazelnuts on another one. mmmmmmmmm. 9 bucks with tip in a gorgeous restaurant. thank you portland happy hour. vive la france. rebecca is in ohio for a few days getting sworn in for the bar, so what can i do but occupy myself at a french restaurant and feel very existential? I ask you.

And after that, i was confronted with a dilemma: what if there is too much rock in portland? what if the shows are so good and so plentiful that my filings rattle out of my head and my ears go? Because The Hold Steady and Art Brut are playing just across the way from my place. and Dax Riggs is at the Doug Fir. But I'm in bed in my jammies typing. Because i've been going out to see music almost everynight, and friends, I might be rocked out. its a monday for goddsakes. when do they stop around here? and i have to go see Erin McKeown on wednesday and Eux Autres on thursday... I'm starting to feel like the I can't stop dancing person but I'm not dancing and I'm not on drugs, I just have to go to too many shows.

So since i am in typing jammies mode, the least i can do is share music for you:


Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

The Hold Steady - Stuck Between Stations

The Gossip - Standing in the Way of Control

Art Brut - Formed a Band

No comments: