Saturday, May 10, 2008

Don't worry, the fish are quite safe.



I dragged out of bed at 5 am to go fishing on Hood River with Paul. We got started a little later than that because we stopped to buy me some wader boots. I knew about waders (big waterproof overalls) but I didn't know there's a special kind of foot gear that goes with them. Its a canvas boot with a felt bottom. Turns out that is super helpful when you are standing on wet rocks in a river. . So we got out there with sand shrimp (which are gross) and tuna balls and fished and fished and fished but caught nuthin. In fishing lingo, I am told this is called being skunked. We were skunked. But that's okay because it was a beautiful day, a gorgeous river, and I got to do something new by standing in a river in waders trying to catch a salmon. I felt like a real tough ass oregonian. And I did see a gigantic steelhead trout swim right past me. It was at least 2 feet long. I screamed.

No comments: